With Let's Get Online you can:
- Find basic advice on how to get a business online
- Get useful information about using the internet
- Find links to other organisations that can help
- Improve your own internet skills.
Why should a business be online?Almost all businesses can benefit from using the internet. Most business owners already know the advantages of a mobile phone. However getting your business online can offer so much more.
What could the internet do for a business?The internet makes it easier for potential customers to find you and for you to sell your services to new customers. It also makes it easier for you to keep in touch with both existing customers and suppliers - even just using emails can help. The internet is great for research too. You can source new parts and products, find cheaper deals, discover more about your competitors and learn things that will help you stay ahead of the game.
Are there any courses to help get a business online?Yes, there are courses being held in libraries and community centres across Scotland. Use our Learning Directory to find a course near you.
Here are the first steps to getting your business online:
Boost your business with emailMany small businesses get a huge boost from being online. A big part of that is thanks to the fast and effective communication that email provides.
Benefits of email:
- Email is a cost-effective way to advertise. It's great for sending out offers, information about new products and seasonal greetings.
- Regular emails are a great way to keep in touch with your customers and suppliers.
- Email allows you to send timely messages to your customers and suppliers. There's no delay for printing, postage and distribution.
Best practice for business email:
- If you already have your own email, it's a good idea to use that same provider for your business account.
- Your username should relate straight back to your business purpose. It could include your name, your business name or where your business is based.
List your business on Google
Listing your business on Google is a great way to provide customers the right information at the right time. Google listings can include:
- Driving directions to your business
- Your opening hours
- Your phone number
How to get your business listed on Google:
- Go to www.google.co.uk/business
- Click 'Get on Google'
- Enter your business name and address in the search box
- Click 'Add my business'
- Type in your business name, address, phone number and location
- Follow the instructions to verify your business - whether that's by phone, email or post.
Other helpful resources:
- Business Gateway - www.bgateway.com
- Get your Business Online - www.gybo.com
- Federation of Small Businesses in Scotland - www.fsb.org.uk/scotland
- Scottish Chambers of Commerce - www.scottishchambers.org.uk
- MyGov Scotland - www.mygov.scot/business/sales-and-marketing/selling-online/