Shopping on the internet can save time and money and it’s especially helpful if getting out to the shops is difficult. Pretty much everything available on the high street can be bought online – from groceries and books, to things for the house.
Top tips for online shopping
- Visit online shops that you’ve heard of before. Shops that you already use on the high street are the best place to start
- Credit cards and PayPal are the best ways to pay because they have the most protection against fraud and non-delivery
- Look out for the padlock symbol in your address bar. This indicates that all information, such as your bank details, are completely secure
Here are some exercises you can try for some quick-practice:
Exercise 1 – Find a shop online
- Use your search engine to find a shop online – most high street shops are online so try looking for one that you already know. If you’re unsure how to use a search engine, try this exercise first
- Save your favourite online shops in your Bookmarks menu. (Hint: Click on ‘Bookmarks’ in your browsers top menu and then click on ‘Bookmark this page’)
Exercise 2 – Buy something online
Use a website to buy something online. If you’re not sure how to use a search engine, try this exercise first. And if you don’t have an email address, use these instructions to set up your own account.
- Find a shop online
- Use the search box on the website to find what you’re looking for
- Add the item to your basket
- Create an account, enter your payment details and place your order
- Check your email account for a purchase confirmation